Registered Medical Practitioner :
Registration Number: 66043
Date of Registration: 01: 06 : 2000.
Dr. Raj Kanna is a consultant Orthopaedic and Knee surgeon, who have made a mark in the field of Orthopedics with his success stories. He is known for making the impossible possible, with respect to knee surgery, using modern technology and is one of the very few eminent surgeons in Asia, who performs knee replacement surgery using computer navigation technology.
Dr Raj Kanna works as Consultant in the following hospitals.
When it comes to quality, Dr Raj Kanna chooses the best of the best knee implants such as “Attune Knee”, “Rotating Platform Knee” for high knee bending and durability based on patient’s needs, severity of the arthritis and the knee function. With proper implant selection and embracing high end computer technology Dr Kanna is able to deliver unmatched results. Multimodal pain management and rapid rehab program is additional attractive concepts of his treatment, resulting in painless and rapid recovery, thereby minimizing hospital stay and expenses.
He is a pioneer in the following surgeries, making him the peerless legend in advanced knee surgeries.
In suitable patients who have severe arthritis in both knees, Dr Kanna replaces both their knees on the same day and mobilizes them the same or very next day, boosting the self-confidence in the patients and bringing positive drive in them, which patients have appreciated and cherished all these years after visiting him.
Dr Kanna is also an unconquerable king in the field of sports injuries of the knee joint. Athletes & Players who lost their career have gone back to their sports life after undergoing ligament reconstruction surgery by the advanced key-Hole technology. Dr Kanna is known for his supreme results and has brought back light in the lives of elite sports men and women.
His Anatomical ACL reconstruction technique for ACL ligament tear places the Ligaments in anatomical position, bringing back complete knee function and natural feel to the joint. The key-hole technology has multiple advantages such as painless early recovery and minimal tissue damage and rapid healing.
Presentation given at the Golden Jubilee
Conference of Tamilnadu Orthopaedic Association
After completing his MBBS at the Madurai Medical College (March 2001) which has a legacy as a finest teaching hospital in south India, Dr Kanna did his Masters in Orthoapedic Surgery(January 2006) at Kasturba Medical College, Karnataka, South India, which runs one of the Asia’s most reputed Orthopaedic departments with eminent faculties known for their contributions globally. Subsequently he completed the board exam (DNB in Orthopaedic Surgery) conducted by the National Board, New Delhi(February 2006).
Because of his irresistible interest in the field of joint replacement he furthered his Fellowship in Computer Assisted Joint Replacement surgery(September 2008) at Breach Candy Hospital, Mumbai. After spending nearly three years of dedicated training in the field of computer surgery, he furthered his overseas Knee Fellowship(August 2009) at Sounthampton General Hospital, UK under a team of eminent knee surgeons who were pioneers in the field of partial knee replacement and key-hole surgery.
Dr. Raj Kanna is one of the very few knee fellows sponsored by the prestigious RCSED,Edinburgh
Dr. Raj Kanna with Dr. C Ranawat , who is a pioneer in knee Replacement and Operated on Ex-Prime Minister of India
Having accumulated immense knowledge and skill, Dr. Raj Kanna decided to come back to his motherland, India where he could serve his countrymen who are suffering from various ailments of the knee joint. Today he is one of the very few surgeons in Asia to do Computer Assisted Knee Surgeries and complex key-hole surgeries.
Dr. Raj Kanna after a knee replacement at Apolo Hospitals, Chennai
Dr. Raj Kanna during a keyhole surgery at Prasanth Hospital, Chennai
Dr Raj has written nearly a dozen scientific articles published in reputed International Journals and he is the first to write a comprehensive review on Partial Knee Replacement, which is a developing concept in knee replacement. He has written Chapters on Partial (Uni-Compartmental) Knee Replacement and has designed instruments used in knee replacement surgeries. He also works as Associate Professor in a teaching hospital dedicating his time for teaching aspiring young surgeons and serving the underprivileged.
Research papers written by Dr. Raj Kanna: Published in reputed international Orthopaedic Journals
1. Indian Medical Association Membership Number: 149/10736/2014,15
2. Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association Membership Number: LM/R/175
3. Indian Orthopaedic Association Membership Number: LM11123
4. Indian Society of Hip and Knee Surgeons Membership Number: S 01 094
Coauthored a chapter "Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty" for the second edition of the book "Textbook of Orthopaedics and Trauma" published by Indian Orthopaedic Association.
1) The influence of preoperative deformity on valgus correction angle: an analysis of 503 total knee arthroplasties. Journal of Arthroplasty Jan 2013, 28(1); 207.
2) Postoperative limb alignment and its determinants after minimally invasive Oxford medial unicompartmental knee arthroplasty. Journal of Arthroplasty Sep 2011, 26(6); 919 25.
3) Efficacy of periarticular injection of bupivacaine, fentanyl and methylprednisolone in tka : a prospective, randomized trial in patients undergoing simultaneous bilateral tka. Journal of Arthroplasty Sep 2010, 25(6); 8517.
4) Variability in the range of inter-anterior superior iliac spine distance and its correlation with femoral head centre. A prospective computed tomography study of 200 adults. Skeletal Radiol. 2010 Apr;39(4):3638.
5) Comparison of limb and component alignment using image intensifier guided conventional versu computer assisted total knee arthroplasty: a prospective, randomised, single-surgeon study of 467 knees. Journal of Arthroplasty Oct 2007, 22(7): 953-959.
6) Quantification of effect of sequential posteromedial release on flexion and extension gaps: a computer-assisted study in cadaveric knees using 2 different types of distractors. Journal of Arthroplasty Aug 2009, 24(5) 795, 805.
7) Bilateral Macrodactyly of Hands and Feet with post axial involvement: a case report. Journal of Hand Surgery British volume 2005, 30B;6: 618 - 20.
Designed two femur re-cutting blocks useful for primary and revision total knee arthroplasty and have developed a simple technique for re cutting the femur. This was funded by Depuy and is submitted to Journal of Arthroplasty.
Presented the Scientific paper titled "Clinical Diagnosis of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: the Existing Scenario" in the 29th Annual Karnataka State Conference Feb 2005.
Presented the Scientific paper titled "Incursion of Lumbricals into the Carpal Tunnel: a Cadaver Study" in the 28th Annual Conference of Indian Society for surgery of the hand Nov 2004.
Presented the Scientific paper titled "Incursion of Lumbricals into the Carpal Tunnel: an intraoperative Study" in the 28th Annual Karnataka State Conference Feb 2004.
Presented the poster titled "Bilateral Macrodactyly of Hands and Feet" in the 27th Annual Karnataka State Conference Feb 2003.